Friday, August 28, 2026

Posting for Likes

Posting for Likes

We attended a family gathering recently and, like always, I took pictures and recorded video for posting on Facebook and Instagram. I even had Grok turn a few of the pictures into little videos. The few people who watched them seemed to think they were amusing, but they didn’t actually get many views.

I have a theory about the low view count.

I think people are simply getting overloaded with stories, reels, posts, and videos—many of them created with artificial intelligence and, occasionally, a few that aren’t.

The people on my friends lists are there because, at some point in our lives, we had a personal connection. I don’t think they necessarily signed up to watch me insert myself and my family into imaginary situations or places we’ve never been.

My wife and I do not have a palatial estate in Italy. Our two-year-old great-granddaughter cannot discuss quantum mechanics. And, as far as I know, my wife has never hula-hooped with a bunch of kids while dressed in some ridiculous costume.

And yet, I love doing it.

I love taking photographs. I love recording videos. And now I love taking those photographs and videos and using artificial intelligence to turn them into silly little stories.

I like it.

It makes me happy.

And if the people on my friends lists happen to enjoy them too, then all the better. I’ll admit it: I get absolutely giddy when somebody likes one of my stories or reels.

There. I said it.

Having said all that, though, I also understand that not everyone wants to be photographed. Not everyone wants their picture put on display for the world to see in one of my little videos or reels.

I was recently scolded for taking pictures of someone who clearly did not want to be photographed. I was told that it was very aggravating to have your picture taken by someone who was only doing it so they could post it online for clicks and likes.

That hurt.

Actually, it hurt quite a bit.

My first reaction was to tell myself that it wasn’t true. That’s not why I take pictures. That’s not why I make videos.

But then I got to thinking.

Maybe it was true.

Maybe just a little.

Has my thirst for recognition become strong enough that I might risk offending people I care about just to get another picture, another post, another like?

I certainly hope not.

If I have crossed that line, I apologize. And I will try to do better.

But give an old man a little bit of a break.

I’m doing something that brings me a great deal of pleasure while, I suppose, also satisfying my desire to still feel relevant.

For years I posted photographs on several different platforms. From there I progressed to making videos for YouTube. Eventually, and somewhat unexpectedly, I started writing fiction.

Now I have published seven books, with another one on the way.

I am quite proud of those books, even though sales are practically nonexistent. My last book, released in May, has sold a grand total of one copy. Some of my books have sold none at all and, thanks mostly to some very good friends, a few have managed to creep into the double digits.

And you know what?

I still find it rewarding.

Maybe that is the point of all of this.

Maybe somewhere along the way we began measuring everything by views, likes, followers, subscribers, and sales. Maybe we started believing that if nobody clicked the little thumbs-up button, whatever we created somehow wasn’t worthwhile.

I don’t believe that.

At least, I’m trying not to.

So give the old guy a break. Let him take his pictures. Let him make his silly videos. Let him write his stories and books that only a handful of people may ever read.

And every once in a while, if you enjoy one of them, click that little “like” button.

It’ll make his day.

But if he starts pointing the camera at you one time too many, remind him that sometimes the best memories don’t need to be posted at all.

And tell him to back off a little.

No comments:

Posting for Likes

Posting for Likes We attended a family gathering recently and, like always, I took pictures and recorded video for posting on Facebook and I...