Feedback. Constant Feedback.
As human existence progresses, are we reaching the point
where we no longer have the ability to function without feedback?
I can remember a time in my life when I was told that if I
had self-esteem, it really didn’t matter what other people thought of me—or my
performance. Apparently, those days are gone.
Now, if I buy hemorrhoid cream at Walmart, I’m expected to
provide feedback on the transaction.
Was I happy with my purchase?
Was I happy with the price?
Was I happy with the service?
I’m usually quite happy with the service at Walmart, by the
way. After all, I find the merchandise, select it, scan it, bag it, and
sometimes even have to hunt down an employee when the machine decides I’m
trying to steal something.
I give myself five stars.
So why do I keep getting emails and text messages reminding
me that I need to provide feedback on my experience?
Then there are the doctor visits.
As a not-so-healthy senior citizen, I visit various doctors
fairly often. Sometimes I actually get a one-on-one with the doctor. Other
times I just run into the office for a quick blood draw—in and out in about
fifteen minutes.
I do the latter quite often, and still, before I’ve even
gotten home, the texts and emails begin.
Tell us about your visit.
I have a hard time resisting sarcasm when I provide feedback
on those particular visits. I’m tempted to leave comments that read something
like this:
Got to the clinic. Signed in. Waited until called. Went
back to the lab and had blood sucked from my arm. Went home.
End of story.
It’s not just Walmart or the doctor’s office. It seems to be
almost every place where we shop or receive some sort of service.
Got new tires at Pep Boys?
Provide feedback.
Did the technician smile?
Does that really matter?
Did they put four round tires on my truck?
Yes. It appears so.
Was I happy with the price?
No. Not really.
Then I order a shirt from Amazon and watch the delivery
driver drop-kick the package onto my top step, leaving it in clear view of any
passing porch pirate.
Five minutes later, the text arrives.
Your package has been delivered. Provide feedback.
Did your package arrive on time?
I guess so.
How was your service?
Uh…okay, I guess.
I’m just glad there wasn’t any glassware in the package.
And then there is Facebook and Instagram.
This is where things get a little uncomfortable because
suddenly I’m like a young boy seeking the approval of his father.
I try to be clever. I write a short essay. I dig through old
photographs until I find just the right one to accompany it. Heck, I might even
use AI to fabricate the most fascinating image imaginable.
Then I post it.
And wait.
Check the post.
Wait.
Check the post again.
Surely by now somebody has commented on just how
intelligent, witty, insightful, or downright amazing I am.
Crickets.
Maybe my friends are busy.
I’ll wait a little longer.
Some posts get comments. Some don’t. And that’s really okay.
Although I do occasionally wonder why all my friends have
forsaken me.
That’s a joke.
Honestly.
Still, it makes me wonder: When did the need to both give
and receive feedback on every little mundane thing we do become so important?
Do human beings really require feedback just to make it
through the day?
Will Walmart suffer if I neglect my civic duty to rate a
transaction where I did most of the work myself?
Will my doctor stop seeing me if I fail to rate the
performance of the nice young woman who stuck a needle in my arm?
And if nobody clicks the little thumbs-up button on
something I wrote, does that mean nobody liked it?
Or does it simply mean they read it, smiled, and went on
with their day?
There was a time when that was enough.
At least, I think that was the point I was trying to make
when I started writing this.
But let’s face it. I’m old. The mind wanders. One minute I’m
complaining about Walmart wanting me to review a tube of hemorrhoid cream, and
the next thing I know I’m contemplating the emotional needs of modern
civilization.
I’ve already forgotten where I was going with this.
Perhaps some feedback would help.
Tips and feedback.
Two things I really think we could do with a lot less of.
If I’m lucky, maybe a grammarian will provide some feedback
on this essay and remind me that I should never end a sentence with a
preposition.
Which, of course, is exactly the sort of thing I could do
without.
No comments:
Post a Comment