Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Reminiscing


I got an e-mail from a dear friend and former co-worker today. She wrote to tell me that she had taken a leave of absence from work to help with claims from the victims of hurricane Wilma in Florida. That got me to thinking of when I was involved with the disaster assistance effort following hurricane Andrew in 1992. The pictures on this post are from that time period in September 1992 and I was stationed in Miami as a Construction Analyst with the Small Business Administration. I spent quite a few months there working 12 to 14 hours a day and 7 days a week. It was hard and tiring work but was personally very rewarding. I met a great many fine people and developed a keen appreciation for the little things in life. It will change you forever to see family after family who have lost virtually everything that they own in one night. I met one father who watched as his wife and two of his three sons drown as their waterfront home was swept away. These experiences affect you and mold you in ways you cannot imagine. I say this to make one simple point. I have a deep appreciation for people who sacrifice their time and money to help disaster victims. It takes people with a strong resolve to help their fellow man by volunteering to work with organizations such the American Red Cross, Carpenters for Christ, The Menonites, and many, many more.

No comments: